Thumbprint cookies are the perfect “personalized” cookie because you can fill the center with almost anything – colored icing, jam, chocolate, icing with sprinkles, caramel, lemon curd, and on and on. We’ve always used icing in the middle, so that’s what I’m giving you today, but feel free to experiment with your own fillings!
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, SEPARATED
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- Powdered sugar + water to make an icing
- Mix butter, brown sugar, egg YOLKS, and vanilla. Add in flour. Roll dough into 1 inch balls.
- In a bowl, whisk egg WHITES until slightly frothy.
- Dip dough balls into egg whites and then into chopped nuts. Place on a cookie sheet and press down in the center with your thumb (or a small lid like from a vanilla bottle)
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes
- When cookies have cooled, fill with icing. Remember, a tiny amount of water goes a long way with powdered sugar!